Контрольная работа по английскому языку для 8 класса
Автор: Кашкарева Ольга Николаевна
Дата публикации: 19.11.2016
Номер материала: 3207
Elizabeth Blackwell was born in England in 1812, and immigrated to New York City when she was ten years old. One day she decided that she wanted to become a doctor. That was nearly impossible for a woman in the middle of the nineteenth century. After writing many letters seeking admission to medical schools, she was finally accepted by a doctor in Philadelphia. So determined was she that she learnt at school and gave music lessons to earn money for her tuition*.
In 1849, after graduation from medical school, she decided to further her education in Paris. She wanted to be a surgeon, but a serious eye infection forced her to abandon the idea.
Upon returning to the United states, she found it difficult to start her own practice because she was a woman. By 1857 Elizabeth and her sister, also a doctor, along with another female doctor, managed to open a new hospital, and children. Besides being the first for women the first female physician and founding her own hospital, she also established the first medical school for women.
* tuition – плата за обучение
Ответьте на следующие вопросы. Один из предложенных вариантов является верным:
- Why could not Elizabeth Blackwell realize her dream of becoming a surgeon?
- She could not get admitted to medical school.
- She decided to further her education in Paris.
- A serious eye infection made her give up the idea.
- It was difficult for her to start a practice in the United States.
- What almost destroyed Elizabeth`s chances for becoming a doctor?
- She was a woman.
- She wrote too many letters.
- She couldn`t graduate from medical school.
- She couldn`t establish her hospital.
- How many years elapsed between her graduation from medical school and the opening of her hospital?
- All of the following are «first» in the life of Elizabeth Blackwell, except …
- She became the first female physician.
- She was the first woman surgeon.
- She and several other women founded the first hospital for women and children.
- She established the first medical school for women.
Task 2. Выберите правильный вариант ответа.
1. The news … (not) very bad today.
a) isn’t b) aren’t c) don’t
2. … Jane Smith (speak) English?
a) is … speak b) does … speak c) do … speak
3. … money do you want?
a) How many b) How much c) Which
4. John (still / work) in the garden.
a) is still working b) still works c) have worked
5. When I (arrive) in Uray, I (phone) you.
a) will arrive, will phone b) will arrive, phone c) arrive, will phone
6. I can’t find my bag. I think somebody (take) it.
a) took b) takes c) has taken
7. The letters (send) yesterday.
a) was sent b) sent c) were sent
8. What … your parents’ address?
a) am b) is c) are
9. Whose picture is it? It’s …
a) him b) mine c) her d) your
10. … it (stop) raining yet?
a) Did it stop b) Is it stopped c) Has it stopped
11. Last summer she … swim a lot.
a) not used b) used not c) didn’t use to
12. They didn’t meet … in the street.
a) nobody b) anybody c) somebody
13. I wonder where we’ll be … the year 2010?
a) at b) in c) on
14. I saw a fantastic film … .
a) lately b) every day c) last night
15. London stands on … Thames.
a) – b) a c) the
Task 3. Выберите подходящее слово для каждого пропуска.
We have just come back from our summer holiday in France. During the first week the (1)... was terrible. Everyone said that summer in the south of France would be (2)…. and sunny, but it wasn’t . Every day was (3)…. and one day we had a thunderstorm. It was very exciting, but the dog didn’t like the (4)…. or the thunder. It was very loud!
In the second week the weather got better. It stopped (5)…. all the time and the sun came out. It was still quite wet on the beach, but that was OK because sometimes it got too hot. My brother got (6)…. on his back because he felt asleep- it wasn’t great fun, but the (7)…. blew and broke mum’s kite. She was very cross. We came home yesterday on the boat. It was very wet and not very nice at all. My dad said that next year we could go to Iceland for our holiday – I don’t think I want to because I’m sure it would be freezing and I prefer (8)… holidays!
1) A day B weather C weeks D days
2) A hot B rainy C cold D cool
3) A watery B cloudy C weathery D coldy
4) A booming B raining C lightning D snowing
5) A rain B snow C cloudy D raining
6) A sunshine B sunburn C sunny D sun
7) A cloud B rain C wind D snow
8) A sunny B rainy C snowy D cold
Task 4. Преобразуйте слово так, чтобы оно лексически и грамматически подходило к предложению.
1. I didn’t read all of the book because I found it … . ( interest)
2. You need a lot of … to write a good story. ( imagine)
3. We wished them … in their new life together. ( happy)
4. The road is very … when the weather is bad. ( danger)
5. It took him years to become a successful … . ( act)
6. I read an interesting … in the local paper. ( advertise)
7. We have had a fantastic holiday … . ( late)
Task 5. Choose the correct variant:
1. … is the Sun together with the planets going round it.
а) the solar system b) a galaxy c) a planet.
2. … is a large, round object that goes round a star.
а) space b) the universe c) a planet
3. … is a very violent wind in the form of a runnel of air that spins at great speed.
a) flood b) a tornado c) a hurricane
4. … is a sudden shaking of the ground.
а) an earthquake b) a drought c) a volcano
5. … is a group of stars to which the Sun and its planets belong.
а) Galaxy b) The Milky Way c) The Moon
Task 6. Answer the questions:
- Who was the first astronaut?
- What are names of the oceans?
- Is the Sun planet? What is it?
- What were you doing at 5 o'clock yesterday?
Task 7. Put the words in right order and translate the sentences:
- music, I, a long, for, have not, time, listened, to.
- Galileo, telescope, the first, made, it, and, looked through.
- were, something, They, interesting, looking at, more.
- careful, should be, spacemen, with, very, their, spacesuit.
Task 8. Write some sentences about space or about dangerous places. (100 – 110 words)
Участвуйте в дистанционных мероприятиях Страны талантов
Творческие конкурсы проводятся на темы острых социальных проблем страны для учащихся учреждений всех типов в возрасте от 5 до 25 лет.
Каждый участник получает именной диплом в печатном виде.
Победители получают именные дипломы, медали, блокноты, ручки и другие ценные призы.
Каждый преподаватель, чей участник стал победителем, и те преподаватели, которые заявили к участию 3 и более учеников, получают благодарственную грамоту в печатном виде.